Ruffneckwear.com
I really cannot put into words what happened last night at the Valley, but it has inspired me to do something I haven't done in months. Blog.

We went from such a depressing low to such a euphoric high in a span of 20 minutes.

Make no mistake about it, this team and this club were struggling badly against a side who were up to the task but punching 2 divisions above their weight.

At one point, we just couldn't muster the energy to sing anything anymore. Our club was losing on the pitch and we were losing in the stands to a motley collection of travelling supporters. We had planned to climb the stands, face the parking lot and chant, "We're gonna jump, we're gonna jump".

I kind of forget what happened, but there was a slight spark. We really started getting back into it and maybe the team responded, I am, not sure. Then the Yeisley goal. Hope? No. It was the beginning of something that we all felt before it happened. We were waiting, expecting, not hoping. Then Lundberg. Then the handball. Then the free kick. Then Tommy. Then Deighton.

I was completely spent after that game, slumping on the bar stool at Damon's watching the US win an uninspired game vs Guadeloupe. I couldn't sleep last night, I just kind of laid there, head pounding, heart beating loudly, slipping in an out of twilight. I still have a headache today and my voice is gone. This is probably the closest I'll get to being in the middle of a real football atmosphere. I love it.

1 Response to 'It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Worst of Times...'

  1. http://steelarmy.blogspot.com/2011/06/it-was-best-of-times-it-was-worst-of.html?showComment=1308168197295#c5785994493632467376'> June 15, 2011 at 4:03 PM

    Nights like that dont come around to often mate so enjoy it :-) Lets hope they can take heart from it because on paper the next two cup and league games look very tough. Lets hope the 2nd half of the season is much better than the first. Hopefully that cup win will have baught the coach some time

    Come on you Hounds!

     

Followers